As a post script to my last post, many people are adding green to their avatars on facebook/twitter in support for the Iran election protests. If you want to change your avatar here are some options;
- Creative bits has created some green avatars
- Nima Heydarian has more green avatars for download.
- I borrowed a green ribbon from wikimedia and overlaid it on my existing avatar, there’s now a one click way to add a ribbon.
- Or add a green overlay to your twitter avatar with one click (160,000 people have used this as of Monday 19.00 CET). Interview with the developer, Arik Fraimovich.
I’ll add more as I find them. Once you’ve greened your icon you can add it to the greenwall (6550 added so far, and still counting).
Other bits and pieces of interest
- To view images of the protests, there’s a flickr stream, the images range from hope-filled to gruesome.
- To see search terms on the rise, here’s a google trends analysis of key terms.
- To see trends across all social media here’s a collection, and another from Mashable.
- Amnesty International’s reports are here
Other ways you can help
- write via Amnesty International
- set up a tor
- change your location on twitter to an Iranian city, this makes it harder for authorities to isolate protesters
- more ideas at Reunify Gally
And a couple of things to watch out for;
- be wary of the source of information, it seems the authorities are feeding misinformation into twitter
- do not retweet names or avatars, twitter is being watched – and those tweeters are in danger